Rockville is a census-designated place and a village of the town of Vernon in Tolland County, Connecticut, United States. The population was 7,474 at the 2010 census. Incorporated as a city in 1889, it has been consolidated with the town of Vernon since 1965. In 1726, Samuel Grant traded his farm in Bolton for 500 acres (2.0 km2) in the northern part of Bolton. This included the area which is now known as “Rockville” and for about the next century it was a nameless village. A prominent feature of the area is the Shenipsit Lake, or “The Snip” as it is currently affectionately called by the residents. The Snip feeds the Hockanum River which cascades 254 feet over 1.5 miles (2.4 km). The river was used by the farmers for a grist mill, a saw mill, an oil milland even a distillery starting around 1740.